Romania has a tradition of over 150 years in the oil and gas industry.
The oil and gas education institutions in Romania are among the best and the oldest in the world:
• Oil and Gas University of Ploiesti (the most important center, ISO 9001:2008 certified)
• “Lucian Blaga” University of Sibiu – Faculty of Engineering – Mining, Oil and Gas
• “Ovidius” University of Constanta – Faculty of Physics, Chemistry, Electronics and Petroleum Technology
• Northern University Center of Baia Mare – Faculty of Mineral Resources and Environment
The major areas of competence addressed by the education system are:
• mechanical and electrical engineering
• oil and gas engineering
o drilling technology
o oil and gas transport, storage and distribution
• chemical engineering and petrophysics
• environment protection
• management and economics
• foreign languages
The bachelor degree education cycle covers the essential areas of knowledge and skills, but the typical job offers also require management skills and good command of English and/or French, Italian and other foreign languages.
The master degree education cycle fills the gap by adding new fields of study like:
• production management
• quality management
• reservoir engineering
• advanced oil and gas engineering
The final asset of an engineer, the actual workplace experience, is achievable in the oil and gas industry only after acquiring the essential skills, which asks for graduation of, at least, bachelor degree.